PATIENT SAFETY ADVICE
Cosmetic surgery is a very serious undertaking.
For your own safety you should make sure that you are being treated by a fully qualified professional before consenting to any cosmetic surgery or cosmetic treatments. Poor results in cosmetic surgery can have devastating psychological and physical effects on you and may be very difficult or impossble to correct. It is therefore very important to keep safe.
Use this checklist as a guide during your consultation and consult the relevant authorities for advice if required:
- Are you specifically fully qualified in Plastic Surgery?
- What are your qualifications?
- Were you trained specifically in the field of Plastic Surgery?
- How many years of plastic surgery training have you had?
- Is the surgical treatment facility fully licensed?
- Am I a good candidate for this procedure?
- What will be expected of me to get the best results?
- Where and how will you perform my procedure?
- What surgical technique is recommended for me?
- How long of a recovery period can I expect, and what kind of help will I need during my recovery?
- What are the risks and complications associated with my procedure?
- How are complications handled?
- How can I expect my body to look over time?
- What are my options if I am dissatisfied with the cosmetic outcome of my surgery?
- What is the backup available for unsatisfactory results?
Be careful with before and after photos as some surgeons may only show good results.
Do not hesitate to seek a second opinion
You should be happy with all the answers to these questions before consenting. If you are not happy get advice.
UK Department of Heath Information
Download PDF documents:
The Malta Plastic Surgery Institute keeps the Highest Standards on an International Level
For your peace of mind the Malta Plastic Surgery Institute only works with fully qualified Plastic Surgeons that hold full internationally renowned qualifications in Plastic Surgery:
FRCSPlast. : The top qualification in Plastic Surgery obtained after 10 to 12 years of supervised training in the UK and Intercollegiate Certification.
CCST UK in Plastic Surgery : Certificate of completion of surgical training in Plastic Surgery in the UK
UK Accreditation in Plastic Surgery : On the Specialist Register for Plastic Surgery in the UK. Fully accredited in the UK and have worked as Consultant Plastic Surgeons in the NHS and Private sector in the UK.
Full Members of BAPRAS
Members of the American Society of Plastic Surgeons
Members of the International Society of Aesthetic Plastic Surgeons
Members of the European Rhinoplasty Society