Cheek augmentation can be done non-surgical using fillers and surgically using cheek implants. The procedure is performed to correct flat, unattractive cheeks using implants, to achieve a balanced facial shape which is more oval or heart shaped and give a natural aesthetically pleasing appearance
Why have Cheek Augmentation - Enhancement?
- Cheek Augmentation is used to correct flat cheeks that a patient feels detracts from their features.
- Cheek Implants are used to reshape the face to give a more oval or heart shape which is aesthetically attractive.
- Cheek Enhancement / Implants is performed to improve the balance of the face with the forehead, nose and chin.
- Cheek Implants can improve self-confidence especially in patients whose cheek is flat in relation to the other facial features.
The normal cheek has a prominence just below the level of the lower eyelids and gives an oval curve to the face – Ogee curve. Lack of fullness or flattening can give the face a long thin appearance. The flat cheek may arise as a congenital or familial feature or result from trauma to the cheek or be the result of aging.
The aesthetics of the face requires that each part is in harmony with the others. Thus a flat cheek may detract from the aesthetics of the eyes, nose or mouth.
This imbalance can have a major impact on the psychological well being of the patient resulting in low self-esteem.Surgery either to enhance (augment) the cheek aims to restore the balance and provide a natural aesthetic appearance.
In order to achieve the optimum result following surgery to the cheek, a clear understanding of the patient’s concerns and careful examination of the facial features is vital.
Cheek Augmentation (enlargement) can be combined with other operations such as:
- Face lift
- Chin Reduction or Augmentation
Other options for cheek augmentation include:
- Non Surgical cheek augmentation with Radiesse or Puragen
The type of operation required to achieve the best result for you will depend on the deformity(s) and your goals and will be discussed at the time of your Consultation.
Remember surgery will not change you or solve any life crises, but should boost your self-confidence and enjoyment of life.
Cheek Implant / Augmentation Operation Details
Before your Cheek Augmentation - Cheek Implants
- Indications - Flattened cheek bones can give the face a long thin appearance. By increasing the fullness in the cheek with augmentation of the bone structure a more aesthetically pleasing oval shape to the face is achieved.
- Size - It is important to discuss your aims carefully. Surgery should achieve an aesthetically balanced chin, mid-face and upper face.
- Implant types - Gortex implants become incorporated and give natural feel.
- Smoking - Essential to stop at least 3 weeks before surgery and until wounds are fully healed or at least 2 weeks after.
- Drugs - Avoid Aspirin/Ibuprofen type analgesics for 3 weeks before and after your surgery.
Cheek Augmentation - Cheek Implants - OPERATION
Your Cheek Augmentation - Cheek Implant operation.
- Anaesthetic - Normally General,or Local Anaesthetic with sedation is used for your Cheek Augmentation - Cheek Implants. Daycase procedure.
- Scars - Inside mouth at the juncture of the upper gum and cheek.
- Position - Implant placed under periosteum and muscles.
- Sutures - Dissolving in 1-2 weeks.
- Dressings - Supportive face strap worn for 5 days day & night, then for 2-3 weeks as much as possible.
After your Cheek Augmentation - Cheek Implants
- Face support - Beneficial to wear support as much as possible for 2 – 3 weeks after your Cheek Augmentation - Cheek Implants.
- Exercise - Avoid vigorous exercise for 6 weeks.
- Diet - Soft for 5 days after your Cheek Augmentation - Cheek Implants, use mouth rinse with antibacterial mouth wash after every meal or milk drink.
Following your Cheek Augmentation - Cheek Implants
- Pain - Moderate discomfort expected following your Cheek Augmentation - Cheek Implants. Avoid Aspirin/Ibuprofen.
- Bruising - Occasional,may last for 2 weeks.
- Wound - Occasionally,mild infection. - Rarely,serious infection requiring antibiotics and removal of the implant. Risk less than 0.5 % with your Cheek Augmentation - Cheek Implants. - Rarely, haematoma (blood collection) that may require drainage.
- Sensation - Some diminished sensation may occur in the upper lip,side of nose and cheek. Returns to normal,may take up to 6 weeks following your Cheek Augmentation - Cheek Implants.
- Displacement - Movement of the implant will cause asymmetry of the cheeks. However, this is rare with Gortex type implants.